CPAP Maintenance/Cleaning-Quick Care Tips
Cleaning your equipment is essential to the life of the equipment and to your health.
Whenever moisture is present, bacteria and mold can grow. If your equipment is not properly cleaned and dried, bacteria builds up and can lead to infections in your body, especially in your airway passages. Also, the oils in your skin and the minerals in tap water can cause premature breakdown in the materials used to manufacture your PAP equipment, especially your mask. Therefore, we recommend the cleaning schedule be followed diligently.
Remember, only use DISTILLED water to fill your water chamber, tap/city water will damage your PAP machine and void the warranty. • Cleaning your CPAP mask:
Your PAP cushion (part that touches your face) should be cleaned daily using warm, soapy water. We recommend using liquid dish soap or PAP mask wipes. Avoid soaps that contain strong perfumes or lotion. DO NOT use baby wipes, many have lotions in them
• Cleaning your CPAP tubing:
Wash tubing using warm, soapy water. Dry your PAP tubing by hanging over a doorknob or hanger. We also offer accessories to help assist in cleaning/drying your tubing.
• Drying hints:
Always hang tubing away from direct sunlight, as this will cause the tubing to become yellow, brittle and crack over time. DO NOT attach the wet tubing to your PAP unit to blow-dry it. The moisture from the tubing can drain back into your machine. Moisture in your unit can cause sudden pressure increases or short circuits.
• Cleaning the CPAP unit:
- Unplug the PAP before cleaning.
- Never immerse the PAP in water.
- Using a cloth slightly dampened with soap and water and wipe the outside of the PAP.
- Make sure the PAP is thoroughly dry before plugging it in.
- Clean the non-disposable filter every 3-5 days, wash with warm soap and water, if need. Allow to air dry
completely before putting back in.
- Replace the disposable filter every month. (DO NOT wash disposable filters)
• Cleaning the Humidifier:
YOUR HUMIDIFIER CHAMBER SHOULD BE CLEANED DAILY.
- Immerse the humidifier chamber in warm, soapy water or place in top rack of dishwasher.
- Rinse with clean water and allow to air dry.
- Always use distilled water to fill humidifier chamber. Tap/city water will damage your machine and void the warranty.
• DO’s and DON’Ts:
- Don’t use alcohol-based products to clean your mask. They can cause the materials to become hard and brittle.
- Don’t use any caustic or household cleaning solutions such as bleach on your PAP equipment.
- Don’t put headgear in the washer or dryer.
- Don’t add anything to the water chamber, like scented essential oils, this will crack the water chamber and you will
have to purchase another.
- Do wash the non-disposable filter every 3-5 days, wash with warm soap and water, if need. Allow to air dry completely
before putting back in.
- Do replace the disposable filter every month. (DO NOT wash disposable filters)